Aug 4, 2010
A turtling terran is a terran player who blocks off his/her ramp with siege tanks or other defensive structures to make it very difficult to get into their base. Then the player will most likely turtle until they get a few tier 3 units and push out with a massive ground army. If you don’t take the correct steps when you see a turtle then it can be very difficult to win the game. Luckily there are alot of easy way’s to crush a turtle allowing you to gloat. Everyone loves gloating!
What to do Against a Turtled Terran
- Is that a Turtle? First you actually have to see if the terran player is actually turtling. Send a probe/drone/scv to check out what your opponent is up to. If you see him grabbing both gases and blocking the ramp with most of his buildings then there is a good chance he is going to turtle.
- Mineral Defense is key. If he is indeed turtling the first thing I usually do is put up some cannons or some type of defense near my mineral patch’s. Alot of turtles like to drop units behind your mineral field ruining your economy. That’s never fun.
- Expand then expand some more. If you have 3 bases and your lame turtle opponent only has 1 then you will most likely be able to produce a billion more units then him. If by some miracle he kills your main army, then you will be able to rebuild your army ALOT faster then he can rebuild his.
- Be Sneaky. Dont be afraid to drop units behind is mineral line, or possibly warp in some units in a far unseen corner. If you are playing Zerg Nydus the crap out of the turtle.
- Keep a eye on everything. See what your opponent is doing. If you see him building tons of marines you should be building tons of roaches.
- Turtles aren’t allowed 2 bases. If you see the turtle expanding shut it down as soon as possible. Your main goal is to starve the turtle of minerals. Keeping a eye on everything will help you spot any new command centers.
What Not to do With a Turtled Terran
- Don’t stay 1 base with the turtle. If you don’t expand then the turtle will most likely win. Terran can successfully stay on one base and be very effective. It is much harder to do that with protoss and zerg.
- Don’t attack his front door with everything you got. Siege tanks pretty much can kill anything very easily. So your whole army runs up that small little ramp and gets stuck then they will most likely die.
- Don’t stick with only one unit type. Countering is the name of the game. Don’t purely make stalkers. Try to integrate your army with alot of units that can take out armored units.